Admissions at the British School of Bucharest
This policy sets out the requirements for admissions to the British School of Bucharest. It reflects the school’s Vision and Mission Statement as an educational foundation when recruiting international and local students to the school.
Entry to the British School of Bucharest is open to any member of the community from anywhere in the world. Prospective students may be asked to join a waiting list. We are always pleased to meet parents and discuss the admission of children to our school –it is important that parents can see our extensive facilities and ask questions about the education that we provide.
After initial contact with the school, parents will be offered an appointment to tour the school and meet with the Headmaster or member of the School Leadership Team, if requested.
Enrolling new students
We give priority to families with siblings already in school and, each year, set a deadline date for the re-registration of current pupils. Once this date has passed, we are able to enrol children from our waiting lists.
It is always preferable for a new student to start at the beginning of an academic year. However, we understand that this is not always possible, and, in these instances, an appropriate assessment will take place.
We require proof of a child’s date of birth for full enrolment. This proof can be in the form of a birth certificate, passport or visa.
Entry to Pre-Nursery:
- Children must be two years old by the 31st August of the academic year of entry.
Entry to Nursery:
- Children must be three years old by the 31st August of the academic year of entry.
Entry to Reception:
- Children must be four years old by the 31st August of the academic year of entry.
Entry to Primary Year 1 and above:
- To be enrolled in Year 1 in September, children must be five years old by 31st August of the academic year of entry. We seek to follow this rule as appropriate for other year groups, other than in exceptional circumstances.
Entry to Secondary:
- Students are eligible to enter the first year of Secondary School, Year 7, after completing at least five years of primary education. Students must be 11 years old by the 31st August of the academic year of entry. For students who have not come directly from a British School, IGCSE/GCSE examinations can only be taken, in most cases, if the complete course is followed at the British School of Bucharest. Year 10 entry is open to students aged 14 by the 31st August of the academic year of entry.
Considerations when enrolling new students
The British School of Bucharest has a range of policies which have been adopted for the benefit of all students in the school. Two of these policies have a direct bearing on enrolment availability.
In almost all cases, we restrict our class sizes to 20 in Primary and Secondary classes. This places a restriction on the availability of places, particularly in the popular entry points to the school.
The school is committed to ensuring that large nationality imbalances do not occur to the detriment of the smaller groups. Part of the academic success of pupils at the British School of Bucharest can be attributed to the happy balance of nationalities throughout the school and the steps we take to reduce the potential for one nationality to dominate others. Our academic performance indicates that this policy is important in maintaining a good educational outcome in an international school. At any time, no nationality will make up more than 49% within the school body. Our school does have a Special Educational Needs (SEN) Department, although there may be certain instances where we feel that we cannot provide appropriately for a child.
1. Initial visit
Parents/guardians should book a visit by completing the relevant form. The Admissions Team will make contact to arrange a convenient time for a visit.
During the visit, the parents/guardians will be advised of the online registration process, which needs to be completed in full, with all supporting documentation attached, to begin the registration process.
2. Registration Files and Acceptance
2.1 Documentation Requested to Apply at the British School of Bucharest:
- Two completed Registration Files
- Student’s proof of age (copy of passport/birth certificate/visa)
- Two passport-sized photographs of the student
- Copy of parent’s or legal tutor’s passports/ID card
- Copy of previous school report (if applicable)
- Copy of the vaccination file
- Assessment Tests – for application to Years 3 to 12
- Modern Foreign Language (MFL) Form – for application to Years 3 to 11. This will be sent to the parents/guardians by email
- Key Stage 4/Key Stage 5 Option Choice Form – for application to Years 10 to 12. This will be sent to the parents/guardians by email
- Copy of divorce and custody documents (if applicable)
- Confirmation of any child protection/safeguarding issues from previous school
2.1. Registration Fee
Parents wishing to formally begin the registration procedure must, at this stage, pay the registration fee (a one-off, non-refundable payment) via the Fees and Deposits page on this website.
Please note: Registration fees must be paid prior to completing the online Registration Files as we are unable to process Registration Files received without payment.
For application to Years 3 to 12 (age 7 upwards), students will be asked to complete an assessment test in English and Mathematics, which may take the form of a CAT test for entry to Years 4 and 6, plus any other subjects deemed necessary. This would normally take place in the school, but for families who are unable to visit, it can be completed at the children’s current school. Assessment tests are taken to assist the school in making appropriate learning provision for each new entrant.
2.3. Internal Review
On receipt of the completed files and documentation, and after completion of the assessment, the Admissions Office and Headmaster will review the information. If everything is in order, the parents/guardians will be contacted by the Admissions Office with further instructions.
2.4. Reservation Deposit and School Fees
Once the file is approved, the school will open the access to the online Parents’ Portal, through which online payment of the Reservation Deposit and the School Fees can be made by bank transfer. Alternatively, a pro-forma invoice can be downloaded and printed, for presentation to a bank or company. Payment of the Reservation Deposit of € 4000 reserves a place until 15th June 2019, at which point the balance of the full year’s fees must be paid in order to finally secure the place.
2.5. Final Acceptance
The school place is confirmed once all academic fees have been paid.